Magnesium is a crucial mineral that the body highly needs it, in fact all major body organs need magnesium in order to function accordingly and without its presence it will cause great imbalance thus triggering many health issues. This macro mineral takes important roles in the body, namely it is in charge of the regulation of enzyme reactions, including the reactions that create RDN and DNA, then the transfer of essential ions across the cell membranes which aid the production of ATP and many more.
Yet, it has been recently shown that the body of an average person is short of this mineral. The American Chiropractic Society states that approximately 68 – 80 % of the American population suffers from magnesium shortage as a result of the magnesium deficiency in the food we consume. If this issue is not treated on time it can lead to the occurrence of certain serious medical conditions like a cardiovascular disease, type 2 diabetes, and osteoporosis. Therefore, it is of vital importance to learn and recognize the warning signs of magnesium deficiency.
For that reason, in this article we shall present you the most common warning signs of magnesium deficiency. If you regularly lack magnesium, then you need to take magnesium supplement or foods that are high in magnesium, including leafy green vegetables and nuts.
- Abnormal heart contractionsLack of magnesium can negatively influence function of the heart muscles. According to a released study in a German journal magnesium aids the maintenance of the regular muscle contractions in the heart. If the body is deficient of magnesium it can lead to heart arrhythmia (irregular heartbeats), which elevate the chances of heart attacks and strokes.
- Ringing in the earsExperiencing constant ringing or booming in the ears is an extremely unpleasant condition. This condition may become as a result of an infection, or it can be due to uncontrolled production of glutamate, which is a vital neurotransmitter that magnesium regulates, meaning that the reason for this condition is magnesium deficiency.
- Kidney stonesFor long time it was believed that kidney stones are caused by an excess of calcium, but according to an ongoing study lack of magnesium takes equally important part in the formation of kidney stones. Fortunately, they can be treated by taking magnesium supplements. According to a study released in The Journal of Urology revealed that patients treated with magnesium hydroxide had reduced recurrence rates of renal calcium stones. Therefore, if you suffer from kidney stones, just increase the intake of magnesium.
- Muscle cramping and twitchingEvery sleep supplement contains magnesium as it allows for the muscles to relax. This mineral is also given to women in labor to ease the delivery for the same reason – unwinding the body muscles. Once the body lacks magnesium, muscle-related issues occur like cramping, twitching, and facial tics. Unfortunately, in many cases the cramping and twitching take part in developing chronic insomnia.
- Anxiety and low moodsFor many years, doctors frequently recommended the use of magnesium supplements to patients who struggled with anxiety. However, recently this relation between magnesium deficiency and low moods has been forgotten, but many studies are heavily supporting its use. A review released in the journal of Medicinal Reports in 2013 stated that magnesium supplements show great efficacy in controlling anxiety.